by Ray Barley
I recently built a cube using SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services and ran in to a problem. The Calculation tab in the project displays this text: Unexpected error occurred: ‘Error in the application.’ so I can’t define any calculations.
I found the solution on the
SQL Server Analysis Services forum on MSDN. There are 2 DLLs msmdlocal.dll and msmgdsrv.dll in these folders:
- C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEPrivateAssemblies
- C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemOle DB
The ones in the PrivateAssemblies folder are older versions so you copy the ones from the OLE DB folder to the PrivateAssemblies folder and the problem goes away.
In my case I know that I installed a SQL Server 2000 instance recently along with Office 2007 and this is the first time that I used Analysis Services since then so I think one of those might be the culprit.